The specific functions carried out by SERIDA are the following:
- To develop and carry out research and development projects which lead to the improved competitiveness of the Asturian agri-food sector, the adaptation of production methods to the environment and improved product quality and commercialization structures .
- To bring educators and professionals up to date regarding scientific, technical and environmental knowledge .
- To establish an agri-food technology development programme within the Regional Plan for Research which will be able to contribute to the improvement of productivity in the Asturian primary sector .
- To foster relations between research and technology development centres and as many public or private institutions as necessary in order to enable scientific development and specific lines of research .
- To provide administrative services for the agri-food sector within its objectives.